Robin Williams and Suicide

Monday as I was surfing through Facebook, about 4 Arizona time, I started seeing and heard at the same time, that Robin Williams had died, and that it was from a suicide.  I was like everyone else and shocked by the news.  I could not believe all the post that I was seeing on Facebook about his death, and even received a text from my ex wife wondering if I had heard.

At one point I posted, "Who is Robin Williams?", because almost every post was about him.  This brought one of my friends to ask if I was joke about this.  My answer was Yes and No.  Yes, because I could not believe how this death had effected so many.  No, because I don't think that any of use really knew the true Robin Williams.  I always wanted to see an interview where he was not always on.  I want to see the true person he was.  And I think he truly hide behind the humor.

Robin Williams as Mork
It is sad to see someone with his talent end his life like he did.  I remember first seeing him on Happy Days.  That lead to his own show  Mork and Mindy.  He went on to make movies, Hook, Aladdin, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, Awakenings, and the Night at the Museum Movie, the third one coming out at Christmas.

I have heard a lot the past few days, how some, what to make him out as a coward or selfish.  I will agree tat suicide is a selfish act, but at that time you are not thinking of who you be left behind to pick of the pieces.  For me, when I thought about it, I was looking to relieve the pain I was feeling.  I wanted some of those that had caused be the pain to feel my pain.  I was not thinking of the friends and some relatives that would miss me.  I was not thinking of the Dial kids, who see me as there uncle at times.  I just wanted the pain to go away.

I have heard some say that there was a void of spirituality.  At that point of my life, I was praying many times a day.  Many of those were tearful asking for help and relief.  I read the scriptures and that did not help.

The one thing that stopped me.  I could not do it.  I could not take a knife or a gun and just end it.  I could not hurt myself.  I also had friends and leaders that when, at my darkest hour reached out to me.  And made sure I was not going to hurt myself.

Robins mask was his comedy.  Mine is living be hind the words, "I am fine."  Nine time out of ten, when I was asked that, I was not fine.  I was hurting.  But I did not want people to know.  I did not want people to feel sorry for me.  Or even worse, have people thinking I was seeking attention.  It is very hard to trust a lot of people and at times I wonder myself if I know the true me.

I am lucky that I have never had the problems with substance abuse.  That was not the case with Robin.  He was in and out of rehab.  I think it was know that he had a drug problem when he was doing Mork & Mindy.  I am glad that I have never had that demon in my life.

I guess the point that I am trying to make, is we do not know the demons that everyone is fighting.
For everyone it is different, and some are easier to handle then others.  But when you have a combination  of several it can be deadly.  It was found out today (August 14) that Robin had the early stages of Parkinson's.

We are not the final judge on this, God is.  I do not think we are honoring the suicide, but the man.  Robin Williams will sadly be missed.  And I do not know how I will handle seeing him in the final scene of the New Night at the Museum.  To me Robin will always be the Genie!

Let me close with this from the Mork and Mindy show.  One of the great parts of the show was Mork's reports back to his commander, Orson.  It was always about what Mork had learned about humans.  This was one of his reports:

"Mork & Mindy: In Mork We Trust (#1.21)" (1979)

Orson: The report, Mork.

Mork: This week I discovered a terrible disease called loneliness.

Orson: Do many people on Earth suffer from this disease?

Mork: Oh yes sir, and how they suffer. One man I know suffers so much he has to take a medication called bourbon, even that doesn't help very much because then he can hear paint dry.

Orson: Does bed rest help?

Mork: No because I've heard that sleeping alone is part of the problem. You see, Orson, loneliness is a disease of the spirit. People who have it think that no one cares about them.

Orson: Do you have any idea why?

Mork: Yes sir you can count on me. You see, when children are young, they're told not to talk to strangers. When they go to school, they're told not to talk to the person next to them. Finally when they're very old, they're told not to talk to themselves, who's left?

Orson: Are you saying Earthlings make each other lonely?

Mork: No sir I'm saying just the opposite. They make themeslves lonely, they're so busy looking out for number one that there's not enough room for two.

Orson: It's too bad everybody down there can't get together and find a cure.

Mork: Here's the paradox sir because if they did get together, they wouldn't need one.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.