The Death of one of my Favorite Newtworks

I think that I have watched my last show on Speed.  I guess the hand writing was on the wall back around fall of last year when Formula 1 announced that the were move to NBC Sports, and dropping Speed.  And how many Formula 1 races have I really watched this year because of the Network change, None.  But Fox has decided to roll some there speciality Networks into one, and calling this new brand Fox Sports 1, which starts August 17th.

And what type of programming are we going to get from Fox Sports 1?  Well from the commercials that I have seen for the new network, it is covering the major American sports.  And what will they show of racing?  That is right the same formula that they have been following for years.  They are giving us NASCAR Race Hub.  That is great, but all of racing is not about NASCAR.

I grew up liking a lot of motorsports.  So when Speedvision launched in 1995 I was excited.  Speed offered what we were not getting on T.V. already.  The SCCA Runoffs the championship of Amateur racing, motorcycle racing of both road and dirt, the Paris to Dakar rally, World Rally racing, the Barrett/Jackson Auction, and almost 24 hour coverage of the 24 Hours of Daytona and La Mans, just to name a few. Then in the summer of 2001 Fox got the right to broadcast NASCAR, and that is when the channel changed focus to more and more programming about NASCAR.  I feel that we have lost Speed, because of some suits setting in an office who really do not know the sports of Motorsports at all.

But Sunday night was the last of a topic and fan driven show, Wind Tunnel.  I think that I was there when they show came on the air 10 years ago.  The Host was Dave DeSpain, a well respected reporter in the Motorsports world.  It was fun to listen to others opinion on races or on the topics of the day.  To hear why that liked or dislike a drive and how someone really messed up the day for there favorite drive.  But he covered everything, and that was what great about the show.  To see the interview with up and comers of the sport to the retired veterans, the car makers and race team owners, to organizers and track owners, and promoters.  And yes other reports in the field.  One of my favorite Robin Miller.  And yes, Dave would give his opinion from time to time. 

For me this was must see T.V.  I really did not try to miss Win Tunnel, and if I knew it was up against something both me and my wife wanted to watch, or if I was not home at time it got DVR.  In 10 years I watched evolve for 1 hour to 1 hour every weekday, back to an hour, and then finally half an hour.  This last year with it being half an hour just did not seem right.  No fan phone calls, and one or two guest.

So I say good bye to my beloved Wind Tunnel.  I hope there is someone at Fox Sports 1, will realize that there is more to this sport that I love, than NASCAR Race Hub. 

Comments

  1. I can honestly say.....I never saw that network....but, I'm a silly girl and just don't get into that sort of stuff....but from the sounds of y0ur post.....I might have missed out on something.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.