Oh How Times have Changed!

 I first wrote this as a note on Facebook back on May 19, 2011.  It is funny how things have changed still.  I will give some updates on some things.

I was out with my Friend Del Mar, picking up pizza, when I realized how things had changed in my town of Mesa.  We were at the Domino's at Broadway and Gilbert.  He came back with the pizzas and I said,"  I remember when this was a Circle K."  As we left I pointed out that next to that was the Taco Bell, the old location of Domino's, and the Tasty Freeze, all of which are gone.

I was with my dad the other day, and we past LJ's Pizza on Main.  He had told me it was closing soon.  Well I did not know how soon it was, until I read it was this Saturday.  This made me think of how Main Street had really changed since we moved here in 1978.  So here is are some of the changes I have noticed in my drive up Main Street.  Lets start this trip at Main and Mesa Drive.  LJ's Pizza is back open behind the original place.  Click on the link to find out times and prices.

Well on the South west corn was Pete's, well it has moved just a little south.  On the North was Berge  Ford.  They moved down the road close to the freeway.  With light rail coming in, Wilke's is gone as well as the tire store and and Indoor Storage place on the north side of Main.

Lets move to Main and Hobson.  The Arby's on the corner is gone.  We ate there a lot.  It was close.  The Church bought the property and tore it down.  The Arby's lot is now paved.    On the South side there was also a trailer park.  It is now gone and the is a hotel there.
On down the street on the left was a taco place I do not remember the name.  It is still a taco place, but under a different name.  Next to that was the Baskin & Robbins.  MMMM Egg Nog Ice cream.  Now a Mexican Ice Cream Polar. 

Now at Main and Horne.  On the right Safeway and Thirfty's.  Safeway had a game in there called Crazy Climber.  Loved that game, and have not seen it since.  What can I say about Thirfty's.  Cheap good Ice Cream in Bike range.  That whole place is now a Mexican Food Store and a Indoor Swap Meet.

To the left Apache Lanes.  The place I learned how to bowl.  Closed down.

On down and on the right next to the Ham Bone. Pat Schwinn's.  How many times would I go there and see what was new, that I could not afford.  Gone.
I little down on the left Matta's.  A lot of Family dinners in there.  Now a reception hall.  The have moved down to Riverview.
Back on the right.  The KFC.  OK not a place I went to a lot, but had been there for a long time.  Gone.  Next to that was Yellow Front.  I remember going in there and buying Racket balls and camping supplies.  Now it is a Checkers Auto Parts Store.  The Checkers is now gone.
Lets move across next to the car wash is Burger King.  That was our Birthday breakfast for a lot of my High school friends.  Gone.
Still on the left Dunkin Donuts.  Through we used the one down by the school more, it is now Bosa Donuts.
Across the way in the plaza there are a lot of places that have come and gone.  Gone is Jones's Laundry, Ted's Hot Dog's (now a taco stand) and the Woolworth's.  I drove by there the other day and almost all the businesses that faced Main are now gone.

We cross Stapley.  On the right corner was a Tune up Masters.  I think is it gone.  It might be open as another business.
On the left Mervyn's.  Got of lot of clothes, ties and shoes there.  It has been gone and a business called Pool was there, only lasting less than six months.  Next to that was Bashas.  Well Bashas still owns the store, it is under the name of Food City.  Pool did not last long.  I don't even think it was open for 6 months.

We move across Lazona to the old Skaggs Drugs.  The had a candy counter to die for.  I remember going in there and see the machine to test T.V. bulbs.  A new 99 cent store has opened in the last few weeks.  And next to that is a reception hall.
Across the street was Long John Silvers.  Yes it is fast food, but it was one of the only fish and chips that reminded me of the fish and chips of the British Isles. Closed, became a taco stand and closed again.
Next to that was Wendy's.  Closed and is now a taco stand.  Where Long John Silver's was,  it is now a Wings Express.  Been there for about a year.
Back across Main and we have the Old Jack in the Box.  It closed sometime in the mid 80's.  Became a Filaberto's.
Right next to that was King's Table.  A lot of family gathers there.  It closed and became a Mexican Sea Food place.  It is now closed.
Move on down a little down the way, own the right, Village Inn.  On of my Mom's favorites.  Closed down a few years ago, and became a reception hall.  It is now closed.

We get Closer to Gilbert.  The Plaza on the left.
The Pondarosa Steakhouse.  Was our favorite Sunday dinner place.  Went there on my first date.  Closed and became a seafood place.  It is now closed.
Next to that was the MacDonald's.  Had a backwards drive through.  Closed and moved to the corner.  It became a Church's Chicken, and it is now closed. 
In the Plaza there was a Peter Piper Pizza.  It is now closed and is a reception hall.

For me this little part of Main Street was my life.  We did a lot in just this little few miles.  There was not much for use past Gilbert.  And going west pass Mesa was Downtown Mesa.  Which we still don't go down there much.  It is just interesting to see how thing have changed.

Comments

  1. oh how times have changed for sure! this was so interesting......can I share on my blog? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.