My Family Tree: The Laney Line

All of my life I have had a love of history.  Boy was I surprised that with my Political Science degree that I minored in Religion.  They just did not have the classes I wanted to take in history at Arizona State.  But when I was 25, I started to read some personal histories of family members that crossed the country in the great Mormon migration to the west in the 1840's to the 1880's.  Some would be called by Brigham Young to missions in England, then come home and moved there family where ever the church needed them.  Finally settling in Arizona.  This is the rich part of history of my mom's family.

My dad's family is a little different.  They are from the south.  And have been there for over 300 years.  His family mostly settling in Tennessee, but moving up through Georgia from North Carolina.  Family rumors are abound about our ancestry.  And at times it is hard to hash out what the truth really is.  So my dad's side is some what of mess, with very few people that I know of working on his family history.

So here I am at 25, and I have the genealogy bug.  It is kind of weird at times going into a family history center, and you are youngest person there at 44 years age.  But I have grown to love it and have started to sort out my dad's side.  And yes, there are still a lot of rumors abound with his family.

As I have been trying to go through both my grandparents lines, I came across a line that came out Ireland or so I thought.

I was researching the line of Abbie Haseltine Laney, who was the grandmother to my Grandmother Essie Close. Abbie was married to Newton Floyd Thomas, who I will talk about in another blog, but need to focus on Abbie's line.  Abbie was born in 1854.  The first know Laney of this clan that came to America was Titus Laney in 1732.  Titus is Abbie's 3rd Great Grandfather.  From the records that I had, it said that he was born in Germany but Married in Ireland, and finally died in South Carolina.  As far as I know, the records between them is correct.  But the question is there, Why born in Germany, and married in Cork, Ireland?

The story that I have followed is that Titus' father, was some type of diplomat, a ship captain, or a preacher, and that he died in Germany in 1714.  Most who have done the research of John, Titus father, as being born in Ireland.  I have done many searches and have never came across a John Laney being born or married in Ireland.  So who is Titus's father?

A few weeks ago I came across an book on the Internet, that stated that Titus name is Teter, and that is father' name is not John but Johaonn.  That he is German that he fight for Germany when he was killed by French forces.  Another thing that we find out that Titus was a Palatine.  A person who has authority to act for the King.  I am still trying to find out more about the Palatines, and understand if this was a religion unto itself.  We know that Katherine, Titus mother, remarried.

Titus then moves to Ireland sometime in his teens or early twenties.  There he meets and marries Hannah Doster.  It is believed that the German people who were in Ireland, stayed mainly with there people.  That there was not much social interact between the two groups.  So the belief is that Hannah was also German.  Something needs to be worked out, and if there is a German church in the Cork area at this time.  And what religion where they?

The final mystery is, we know that Titus made it to America, because there are court records showing him there.  We also have land documents as well as, church records to prove this.  But we have no record of him immigrating to America.  We do know the ships name, and from there records, we know that a manNamed Johann was on this ship.  We also know that the name listed with Johann is the name of the step-father.

So my work has just started in finding out about this line.  Sad to say, but no Irish blood on this line.  Maybe I will find it somewhere else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.