Missionary Companions 1990

So this is the second part of Missionary Companions 1988 to 1990.  The first part took us from November 1988 to January 1990.  This picks up in January, and goes to the end of my mission in October 1990.  Again I am trying to find the good in all of my companions.

Elder Butterfield, Rathmines:
I was glad to have Elder Butterfield as a companion.  I had come out with him and roomed with him in the MTC.  But we are the total opposites.  I love eating beef and he was or still  is  vegetarian.  He was a spiritual giant and I wasn't.  But he was what I needed after the month I had had.  He was there when my Grandfather, who was not a member of the church, died.  His idea at the time of grieving was working, and at the time, I hated him for it.  But it was what I needed.  I guess you can say that he is the guy that got me back on the horse.  We got to baptize Anne Ralli, which was also a great experience, as well end the companionship on a spiritual high.  Mike does not know how important he was to me at this time and I am very grateful that he was there.

Elder Zollinger, ?:
Yes, I got to open up a new area again, in the Dublin South Zone.  They had moved us out to Tallaght, so I guess we were Tallaght 2 Elders.  We had to take a bus into are area everyday.  Elder Zollinger was great.  He was a well rounded elder and very easy going.  He made Fry Bread, and one of the funniest things is to see a Frenchmen experience it for the first.  Another companion I had for just a month, but I really enjoyed the time I had.

Elder Carr, Contarf:
This is a really hard one for me.  I was not excited to get Elder Carr as a companion.  I found him to be kind of weird.  At one point, the Zone Leaders had me with them for a few days, to find out why we were not getting a long.  Just before we were split up, I had gone to President Martin and told him of something that had happened, and I was ashamed that I let it happen.  I don't know if President Martin ever talked to him about it.  I was told, not to let it happen again.  I was glad when moves came.

Elder Schurter, Ballymena:
When we got together, we were happy that we were companions.  I really like him and he was a very likable guy.  I will tell you that, while walking to an appointment, he clocked me.  I took the punch and got mad and broke me Franklin Planner on the ground.  I turned around and he was gone.  So I went back to the flat and waited for him.  He came back with to member and we talked about things.  I was trying to council him on a think he was trying to deal with and did not like what I had to say.  I did not hate him for what he did and never told anyone about it.  I love the guy.  And he was loyal to me.  When I had a friend that came home early from his mission, he was there to stop me from doing something stupid.  I it makes me sad that I could not stop what he would do next on his mission.  So if anyone knows the whereabouts of Schurter, I would love to get in contact with him again.

Elder Who Cares What your Name is!, Ballymena:
You know I can set here and tell you every area I was in and everyone companion that I had, but this one.  He always thought he could do things better.  He did not like how I did things.  I was the Presiding Elder in the Area.  So I saw that my first job was to try to get this tiny branch in order.  This meant trying to keep the members we had, trying to find inactive members and find new people.  He wanted to find the new people first.  So we did not get along, so much that he sent bad reports about me back to President Martin, a man I was never ever on good terms with.  I found out about the letter the night of moves, and I did something I shouldn't have, and I paid a price for it.  So yea, this person will never get a Christmas card from me.

Elder Wilde, Don Laoghaire:
Poor Elder Wilde get a broken Elder Close, who is depressed.  Wilde was a great guy.  He was a very loving and caring guy.  He really cared for the members and those he meet.  To bad I did not have more time with him.

Elder Silk, Waterford:
Thought I was going to finish my mission close to the mission office, but I get shipped out too the south.  This did not bother me.  Elder Silk was from Canada.  He was loved by the members.  And he was trouble for a guy that was down and ready to go home.  I thought he was going to kill me off.  But with 2 weeks he is emergency moved out of the area.  And that was Elder Silk.

Elder Neal, Waterford:
Was glad that I was getting Elder Neal as a companion, but did not know how he would feel having Elder Close as a companion.  I was glad to find a very loving guy.  Who cared for me a lot.  Who was a Zone Leader at one time and knew of some of the troubles I had been having.  He let me work at my pace and to my surprise and everyone else, we track into someone, and they wanted to be baptized.  The sad thing for me (well not that sad), was she was baptized the day I left to go home.  So Elder Neal got to baptize someone in the Atlantic Ocean in October.  Oh and I served with Elder Neal in the MTC.  I was very grateful that he was my last companion.

And that is it.  I got home on October 30, 1990.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.