My Sister

Growing up, since I was 5, there has been one constancy in my life.  My sister.  That August before she was born, I was asked in primary, at church, that I would have someone coming to my house really soon.  My answer was my grandparents.  The real answer was my sister.

Over the years, I really did not know how to play with this person who was younger than I was and sometimes I just did not understand what she was saying.  But I needed someone to play with and I did not see any problem with putting you in a clothes basket and pushing down the stairs.  I thought it was fun, but she cried.  I still like push her in things.  Like my little wagon.  Still did not see why it was wrong to push it with her down the hill in the back yard, and into the woods.

My sister was always more talented then I was at playing musical instruments.  I struggled to play the violin, when she was always competition for first chair.  I only played violin, up to the 6th grade.  She was even better at the piano then I was.  Most people would not know it, but I can read music, but she can do it better.  I guess in both cases she was better at practicing then I was.

Jayme and Jensen 
But she did not always have it easy. In 1984 just after we had moved back to Tennessee, it was discovered that she had a tumor growing on her spin.  She had been complaining of pain in her back for months, but no one would have ever thought it to be a tumor.  Lucky there was a doctor who could take the tumor out with out harming the spinal cord.  She did have to have a few bones fused together.  This would be the first time she would be published in a book or journal.  She had be in a cast from her neck to her hips for a few months.  So I gave her the nickname of turtle.

I did not know how much she loved me, until the night a graduated from high school.  I was going over to my grandmothers (she lived next door) for something and she was at home crying.  She thought me graduating high school, that I was living for ever that night.  But I was just going to party with my friends.  It was not until I left in November, to go on my mission, that I did leave home for the first time. Don't know if she cried then.

My Graduation from ASU 2008.  She came in from her vacation to be there.
When I got home from my mission my sister was 15 and in high school.  It would be a few more months that I would finally leave home for good, and I had to watch her from a distance. (Well not really that far a way but a few miles away.)  watched to graduate from high school, go on to college, in which we took two classes together.  Watched he date and finally get married.  And then graduate ASU before me.

She went on to work for the State, ASU/NASA, the City of Phoenix, some private companies and then work as a contractor for the Air Force.  I Watched her become a mother, to a wonder son, Jensen.

Jayme & Jensen at my Dad's and Bert wedding

I am proud of my sister and what she has done.  I know she is not done doing more great and wonderful things.  I sit here knowing life is not the greatest at times, and that both of us have had a ruff few years.  I hope that she finds a job that is as good as the ones she has had.  But I will always be there if she needs me.  I do love my sister, even though the past few days it has been like all we have done is sent nasty messages to each other.  I do love you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.