My experience with Soccer

Like most Americans, I am not a stranger to the game of Soccer.  Most people would not know it, but when I was 13, I played full back for my schools team.  We were so good, that we went undefeated in the city and won the Championship of the city.  We were only scored on once and that was in the Championship game. The next year I was bulled by a Mexican kid, that was not even on the team the year before, so I did not play on soccer team at all.

My next experience with soccer would be on my mission.  Soccer or as they call it around the world Football, was one of the main sports played over there.  Every kid played, and it seemed like we got into a match with them everyday.  It was fun, and here I am playing this game in a suit and Doc Martins. Plus during this time in 1990, Ireland had qualified for the World Cup and did well.  For almost a month we did not get in to teach when a match was on.  But then again, If it was the FA Cup or Champions League or some major match, we did not get in to teach, but to watch the match.

I came home from my mission looked pretty good and thought myself in pretty good shape.  One of my sisters friends, was playing soccer for the High School team, so I told him of my experience on my mission and he invited me to come and train with him on Saturday morning.  I went and quickly found that I was not in shape as I thought I was, and that my skill level was really lacking. This was 1991.

So in the mid 2000's, I am channel surfing and find a English Premier League match on.  I remember that one of the the teams was Arsenal.  For awhile, Arsenal was my team, and it was because of the play of Thierry Herny.  But I had my favorite on other teams as well.  Peter Crouch is still one of my favorite.  And there is Wayne Rooney.  For the past five years, Manchester United has been my team.  Even that said I still root for the newly promoted clubs in the league each year.  And I have a hate for Chelsea.

The funny thing is, I can not watch any other league play, then EPL.  I have tried watch the league here in America (Major League Soccer), but it just is not up to the quality of the English league.  I do watch the national teams play, usually England, USA, and Ireland when I can find them on.   I do enjoy watching the European Cup and I do watch Champions League.  But when I watch Champions League, it is usually only the matches that have the English teams playing, and yes that even means rooting for Chelsea sometimes.

I would have to say that the 1990 World Cup was my first experience with the clash of the countries.  The USA team is not know as one of the best in the world, but I believe we have been in every World Cup since 1994, when we hosted it that year.

The teams I am watching this World's Cup is England, USA, and Germany.  England is already out of it with 2 loses. USA and Germany are in the same groups and play each other on Thursday.  If they tie then both teams make it to the next round of the tables.  That being said, I will probably watch the finals if either team does not make it.

GO TEAM USA!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.