Why I am thankful for Facebook

I know that some look at Facebook as taking up to much of our time.  To many people post senseless stuff about themselves or memes that have no point to your life.  And lets not get into the political stuff.  People have lost friendships because of Facebook.  But then you have to really ask, if they were true friends, than they would not unfriend you for difference of opinion.

But I am thankful for Facebook.  It has reconnected me with family and friends.  I always tried to get my mom on Facebook, but she did not want her stuff out there on the Internet.  She saw it as a waste of time.  When she died, I wish she would have had a page.  It might have been a way to reconnect with friends in Boise.  And maybe some of those friend would have known when she died.  I know she had a lot of goof friends still there and I do not know if they know she died.  But then she did not want to reconnect with some people and that is what she was afraid of.  But I do not think she knew that you could just reject request or hide what people saw.

For me I do not have a lot of close friends around.  So I am grateful for Facebook.  I get to see when they go on vacation. I get to see there families grow.  I get to see the achievements in there lives.  And I get to see there loses as well.  Sometimes we talk about the old time, or what is happening now.  Sometimes we comment of something someone has posted.  I am grateful for the love I have felt from some, when I have been depressed.

And so here I thank you my friends.  The Friends that I have had from school:


  • Andrew:  You are really my oldest friend, and the only one that wrote me when I moved to Tennessee for 9 months.  We have seen both good times and bad together.  Seeing your relationship on Facebook, makes me sick, but I am really glad you have found someone to make you happy in your life.
  • Lydia:  Friends since high school.  Lost contact with you when I got married.  Glad you married Justin, my Politics and Religion classmate.  You have always been here to tell me not give up.
There are my friends from my mission to Ireland:

  • There is Kevin, Mike, Steph,, and the Ericksons.  We all left for Ireland in the same group.  We spent three weeks in the MTC together.  I am glad that you guys are in my life, and you all will always be my Brothers and Sisters.  Now if we could find Sneddon, Graham, and Neil, we would have the whole group on here.
  • Anita:  You were my first baptism in Ireland.  When you found me here,I was happy.  You made me cry when I read the first message you ever sent to me.  Seeing you on Facebook, truly brightens my day.
  • Randall:  What can I say.  instant friends from day one.  You were around when I came home.  We got married and drifted apart.  But you found me here.  And you have been here for me.  I can not thank you enough.
  • Gerry:  My favorite Liverpool fan.  I still can not remember how many times I saw you in Ireland, but you remembered me.  And I am grateful for that.  You are another person I can always count on being there for me, even if you are in England.
  • Gary:  We became friends when I really need a friend on my mission.  You made that time a lot easier.  And you make this time some what easier now.
And there are family and other friends.  The one that I really need to thank is Bev.  Bev has always been my biggest fan on this blog.  But she was also my mom best friend.  She cut my hair all the way through high school.  She has always been here to give me support.  And I am always trying to make her laugh when I comment on her post.

I could go on and on how all of my Facebook Friends have had one affect on my life.  Not seeing your name here, does not make you a secondary friend or that I really do not care about you. But I am grateful for all of you.  I laugh when you laugh, and I cry when you cry.  We may not agree on everything, but that is OK.  Keep on posting!

Comments

  1. I agree! Sometimes I am lonely when we are moving and Facebook really is a reminder that everyone has a load to carry... Sometimes triumphant and sometimes total crap! It's an outlet for me too sometimes. I'm thankful for technology and social media. Hang in there man!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.