Alma 26

I have had this as something that I wanted to write about for a while now.  When I read this Chapter in the Alma, he made understand the difference between Pride and Righteous Pride.  I thought this was how every, or how I hope, every missionary coming home from there mission felt.  For me it has taken awhile to realize the great work that I did in Ireland.

In Alma 26, Ammon and his brothers are coming home from there mission. And it starts off in verse one:

And now, these are the words of Ammon to his brethren, which say thus: My brothers and my brethren, behold I say unto you, how great reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted unto us such great blessings?

Ammon goes on and starts listing off what they were able to do.  The mission was to the Lamanites.  Now the Lamanites had did not believe the same way as Ammon as his Brothers.  Plus they did not look like the Lamanites, so they really stood out.  But they brought many unto there Belief.

Ammon's brother, Aaron does not like what Ammon is say, and says this:

 10 And it came to pass that when Ammon had said these words, his brother Aaron rebuked him, saying: Ammon, I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting.
 11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

And Ammon responds to his brother's rebuke by say this:

 12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

He goes on and talks about  how God had blessed them on there mission.  How many thought that them going to the Lamanites was a foolish cause.

Ammon end by saying this:

 35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has allpower, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
 36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.
 37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.

I am not one that really Boast of the stuff that I have done.  OK, so I write a blog, and have talked about some things that I have done, but I was not doing it to boast.  I was somewhat a successful missionary, even though some in the mission would not think so, but I was.  But I think back to a few that I have meet that have served in Ireland.  While they were there, they did not baptize one single person.  These were not bad missionaries in any sense.  Many of them were really good guy, that planted the seeds for others.

I look at the baptisms that I got.  And no, I will not give a number.  I am very grateful for the people that I meet there.  Some of them I have built long lasting friendships, not just other missionaries or former companions, but members of the church and general people that I did meet.  They have left a life long impression on me.

I am grateful to have been able to serve the Lord like I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.