My Racing Roots Part 3.3: The Golf Years.


2004 had come and by February we were back out at the track.  It is February 24th and we have not been on the track for two months.  So we are looking at getting back at it.  I have already told this story on the the blog.  So if we want to read about it you can find it at The Ruff Times of Racing:  First Win.
I never would have thought getting my first win would have been so hard.


I think the next race was at PIR.  I got another win, because Davis did not show up.  But I was have problems with the car.  I would reach a curtain speed and then the car would cut out on me and would take a while until it would come back on.  These happened this race and the next race, never finding out what was causing it to cut out on me at speed.

By this time dad was ready to move onto the next car.  Porsche 944.  This was going to be the next Spec class in SCCA.  One of my dad's friends, Joe Stubblefield, was heading up the class and how they were being build and all the specs on the car.  Before I knew it my dad had bought a car and started tearing apart the car.  He had two neighborhood kids helping him on the build.  I felt bad because at the time I was really busy with work, softball and school.  The only thing I did with the car was take off the cruise control off the car.

Dad had the car done for the last race of the year.  I found myself in a real good points battle with Davis and it all came down to that weekend.  Dad really wanted to get the car on the track.  I really wanted to drive the Golf because, I really had  a chance of winning the Regional Championship in the class.  Dad gave in and let me drive the car for the weekend.

The last race of the year was at Firebird.  We had a really good qualifying run.  But on that day Davis was faster than me and he won the race.  The next day was Sunday and since we do not race on Sunday, Davis got max points for the weekend and the Championship.

I was not sad for losing out on the Championship.  It had been a good year and a lot of good racing.  I had had fun doing it and that is all that counted.  I knew that my Golf racing days were over.  It was a good car to drive and the only front wheel drive cars I would ever drive.  I was off to drive a new car. A brand of car that had a racing pedigree, the Porsche.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.