Getting back to my Spiritual Roots.

I have never seen myself as a spiritual person.  It has been that the past few years I have started to pray on a regular bases to where I at least say a pray once or twice a day.  At the beginning of this year, I started reading the Book of Mormon again.  The Book of Mormon is another set of scriptures that testifies of Jesus Christ, that is used by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, LDS or Mormons.  I started last year and some where, lost interest some where in Mosiah.  But today I find myself in Alma 43, two thirds of the way through Alma.

My aunt Liz would be known or I saw it, the spiritual one of the Close Clan.  I remember when I was at her home when my Grandmother died, that she was up every morning, doing her Bible Study.  She was more in tuned with the spirit at that time, then I was.  Oh and I don't know which church she is a member of, but I do know it is Christian.  And I know that some of this of rubbed off onto my cousin Chris, for I see him posting Christian based stuff on Facebook.

Like Liz, my mom taught me a lot about the gospel.  She tried hard to instill in both me and my sister the values that we hold today.  But we did not do the things that most Mormon families did.  We did not pray together very much, we did not read the scriptures as a family, and family home evening on a Monday was just not happening.  But attending church was important and we did that.

As I entered Junior High and High School, Seminary was offered to anyone, grades 9 to 12.  In Arizona we had release time Seminary, which meant that we gave up a credit each semester to attend this religious studies class during school.  Seminary and its release time was offered to not just the Mormon kids, but to everyone.  So all four years I read the scriptures every night as my homework for the class.

I then went on my mission to Ireland and somewhat went through the motions of being a missionary.  I prayed everyday and every night, Read my scriptures.  But at some point after I got home that was all lost.  I can not give you a day or time when it all stopped but it did. And it took me almost 20 years to start all of that over again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.