Vacations: With the Grandma and Grandpa Hatch

My sister just went to Moab for the 4th holiday.  My dad is getting ready to see some of the country he has not see yet.  Del Mar just took his family to drop them off in Seattle for the rest of July.  We are in the middle of summer vacation time.  I took a lot of trips with my grandma over the years, from visiting Snowflake at least once every summer, to going to California and Utah.  Or we just traveling around the state and discovering new things.  Here are of some of my favorite vacations. 

The summer with Grandma and Grandpa
One of my first vacation that I can remember is coming out to Arizona as a 5 year old boy and visiting Grandma and Grandpa.  I did not know it at the time but I was spending the summer with them.  The first time I realized that mom was not around was when we were up in Snowflake.  I think I cried until grandpa came out and gave me this white cowboy hat, and that was all it took and I was OK with everything.  The rest of the time was spent visiting relative, mostly my grandparents brothers and sisters.  On one of those visits I was walking next to and irrigation ditch when my new cowboy hat blew off my head and into the ditch.  We looked for 1/2 an hour but did not find it.  Another day there, we went and visited with Uncle Vern, who was my grandpa's brother.  This is where I learned how to ride a horse, and my Uncle Vern nicknamed me Greenhorn.  I don't think he ever called me by my real name after that.

The rest I might be out of order, you have to remember that I was 5, and that was almost 39 years ago.  I remember that we went to Disneyland.  We had a relative that lived in Anaheim and I think we stayed with them, but they got us into the part.  I am trying to think what was fun to ride back then, and I would have to say; Space Mountain, the Submarines, Autotopia, Pirates of the Caribbean, the trail and the Matterhorn.

There was a visit to the Grand Canyon and I think it was bigger back then.  I did not know it at the time, but my Grandfather had heart problems, and was having a hard time breathing.  But I remember dragging to this point that at the time had no guard rails.  I don't think I could do that now.

We went to the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest.  My Grandparents in the 1930's and 1940's worked at a railroad fuel station just miles from both places.  I remember then have a lot of Petrified jewelery. But I also remember walk through all this Petrified wood and there was one that across golly and you could walking across it.  I do not think you can do that now.

Then there was the trip to Utah. I remember eating lunch in the park in Kanab.  I remember that we stayed at Gracie and Byran Eastin's  place, and went up to Manti for the pageant. 

There was a ride on a steam train at some point, but I just can not remember the time line that greatly.  But I think that one of our relatives owned the train.  I remember it, because we got to ride up in the engine.

They drove me home and that was the end of my summer fun with them.  About a month or two later they would be at our house again for the birth of my sister. 


Comments

  1. dang....I can't believe some of things you can remember! I do know your Mom always wanted you guys to experience everything this big old world has to offer!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.