My Top 10 Movies

So I was doing my movie list, when my friend Daniel ask me what would be my favorite.  As I thought about it, some of my favorite movies did not make the lists I was working on.  I guess it is because a lot of them just are not on a lot.

1.  Mr. Smith goes to Washington (1939):  One of my favorite Jimmy Stewart movies.  This is the movie that got me excited about politics.  I want to be like  Jefferson Smith, and go to Washington and make a difference.  But I think this is one was one of the first movies to show the ugliness that Washington can be.  From the lobbyist to the Reports.  To the back room deals done to get bills past.

2.  The Quiet Man (1952):  One of the only times I think that John Wayne was not playing a cowboy or a soldier.  A movie the John Ford wanted to do so badly that he had to do three other movies before he could make this one.  A movie that my mother loved and that I grew to love growing up.  Loved it before I served my mission in Ireland.  I think that fight seen in this movie is one of the best ever.  And one that takes me back to Ireland for a moment.

3.  Lawernce of Arabia (1962).  I think what attracted me to this me was it was based on a True story.  The movie follows  T.E. Lawerence, one of the only men in the middle east that under stood the Arabs, but at the time was at a desk job, until he is sent into the field.  It is in the Arabian Desert that he gain favor of Prince Faisal and most of the tribal leaders.  This is the man the help bring down the Ottoman Empire and forced them back to Turkey.  I just really like the story and Peter O'Toole is brilliant a Lawernce.

4.  Arsiac and Old Lace (1944):  Every time this is on, it puts a smile on my face.  A great play that was turned into a movie.  And a great cast lead by Cary Grant.  I have seen the play as a teenage and used a scene from it in my drama class.

5. Star Wars (1977): Growing up in the 70's and 80's I do not think any one would not have this as a top ten.  And not the one that George Lucas released with his add ons.  These set the gold standard for Sci-Fi movies after that.

6.  Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981):  I loved this because it was about a guy that loved to dig up old stuff.  I have to admit that I really like this whole series, except for Temple of Doom.  Just does not fit in for some reason.  But it made for a decent ride at Disneyland.  Who can forget the showdown with the guy with sword.  And every time I go to Moab and visit Arches Nation Park, I have to go to where the find the cave in The Last Crusade.

7.  It's a Wonderful Life (1948):  A great Frank Crapa movie, among many that he did.  Nothing says Christmas time like this movie.  Love the cast of Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, and one of my favorite supporting actors, Ward Bond.  Reminds you that in the darkest days of life, good can still come from it.  And sometimes we don't think we are that important in live we do know how we effect others lives.

8.  Oceans Eleven (2001):  One of the only remakes that I can think of, that I think is 10 times better than the original.  You sit there and wonder if they can really pull it off.  And wonder how they do and they show you in the end.  Kind of slight of hand with movie camera.  early was excited about a squeal, but Oceans Twelve was not that good, and Oceans Thirteen was a good film.  I would love to see an Oceans Fourteen, but than again how do you replace the great Bernie Mac.

9.  The Ten Commandments (1956):  Just like It's s Wonderful Life reminds you of Christmas time, nothing says Easter than the Ten Commandments.  A movie I have to watch every year at this time.  Thank You ABC.  But what an epic movie.

10.  The Wizard of OZ (1939):  This is truly one of the greatest movies ever made.  And at one time you could count on seeing this on T.V.  once a year.  I can honestly say that for awhile growing up, I was scared of the Wicked Witch.

So there it is.  Some will agree and some will disagree. 
 

Comments

  1. So I have already been getting feedback on this topic on Facebook. One person said that this was not the best top ten list they have ever seen. But this is my top ten. I think this the problem with the world. We all can not like the same things, so we have sit there tell them why they are wrong for the choices they have made.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.