My Movie List: Part I

As I sit here watching Notting Hill:  I was trying to think about what are my favorite movies are.  After talking to my friend Del Mar last night, is it the importance to how the movie changed movie watching or does it come down to pure enjoyment.  I think every movie we watch is important to us. Movies we see on T.V. and just have to set down and watch over and over again.  So here is my list in no order of importance.

Notting Hill (1999) Poster1.  Well lets start it off with Notting Hill (1999).  Not really a Julia Roberts Fan, but love Hugh Grant in this movie.  I love that there are really no other stars, but you will see people who still are working in films or T.V. today like Hugh Bonneville ( From Downtown Abbey) and Rhys Ifans.  A true romantic comedy.  Favorite line from the movie:  "I am just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."  How can you say no after that?

2.  Monty's Pythons Holy Grail (1975):  How many times are you with your friends and someone says "IT" and you burst out and saying Neeh!   Our you catch yourself insulting your friends in a French ascent?  Or you cut yourself and say, "It's only a fleece wound!"  Just a stupid movie I can watch over and over again.

3.  Star Wars (1977): Growing up in the 70's and 80's I do not think any one would not have this as a top ten.  And not the one that George Lucas released with his add ons.  These set the gold standard for Sci-Fi movies after that.

4.  The Quiet Man (1952):  One of the only times I think that John Wayne was not playing a cowboy or a soldier.  A movie the John Ford wanted to do so badly that he had to do three other movies before he could make this one.  A movie that my mother loved and that I grew to love growing up.  Loved it before I served my mission in Ireland.  I think that fight seen in this movie is one of the best ever.  And one that takes me back to Ireland for a moment.

5.  Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981):  I loved this because it was about a guy that loved to dig up old stuff.  I have to amit that I really like this whole series, except for Temple of Doom.  Just does not fit in for some reason.  But it made for a decent ride at Disneyland.  Who can forget the showdown with the guy with sword.  And every time I go to Moab and visit Arches Nation Park, I have to go to where the find the cave in The Last Crusade.

6. McLintock (1963):  Another movie with John Wayne and Muareen O'Hare.   Another movie that I grew up watching with my mom.  Two great fight scenes in this.  The one at the mud pit, and the one on the 4th of July.  Every time I see Jerry Van Dyke in this movie, I just have to laugh and wonder how he made it in the movie. 

7. Napoleon Dynamite (2004):  First time I saw this movie, I said to myself, this looks like it was done by a bunch of guys who grew up in a small Mormon Town.  To my disbelief I was right.  To Kip being on the computer all day talking to hot chicks, which he gets one, to Napoleon saving the election for Pedro, with dance moves.  Just makes wonder way Tether Ball is not an Olympic  sport yet.  Plus all the great 80's music in it.

8.  The Waterboy  (1998):  OK when I first saw the character of the Waterboy, I said it was Adam Sander doing Cajun Man from Saturday Night Live.  Love Henry Winker as his coach, and Cathy Bates as his overly protective Mom.  How many times do you watch this movie and catch yourself say, "Water sucks, it really really sucks!"

9.  Tron (1982):  Before there was Second Life, there was Tron.  A ground breaking movie done by Disney about computers, and video games.  With a great cast of Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxlainter. 

10.  It's a Wonderful Life (1948):  A great Frank Crapa movie, among many that he did.  Nothing says Christmas time like this movie.  Love the cast of Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, and one of my favorite supporting actors, Ward Bond.  Reminds you that in the darkest days of life, good can still come from it.  And sometimes we don't think we are that important in live we do know how we effect others lives.

So the rest of list is in part two.  Hope you like the first ten.  See what I have in the next ten.

Comments

  1. YOu and I like many of the same movies....good choices!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.