You can have it back..well maybe not.

So moving everything out on Sunday, we had a lot of help.  One of those was a young man, who's father is a friend and is a Professor at Arizona State.  He started out in the college that I got my degree in Political Science.  So his son is there helping and I say, "Here Connor, you can give this back to your dad."  To my disbelief, he took if from me and did not even look at it.  I told him to take a look at it, and he said he knew what that was.

For me, this has been a running joke.  Why don't I just give back my degree, because I am not using it.  It is not worth the piece of ... well what ever it is printed on.  But this is not true.  I do not want to go back and do it again.  But I spent a lot of time and money (Via Discover Card and Visa).  I had a work place that supported me, that when I was in school, they would let me set my own schedule.  During the summer, I would work 40 plus hours.  The felt like they could not lose me, after graduation, that they even offered me a salary job.

It was a very long road.  I was going to go to BYU, but with in 6 months on my mission I changed my mind to go to ASU, a school that did not even accept my test schools.  So when I came home in 1990, from my mission, I started school at Mesa Community College.  Spent a few years there, and that is where I made another change in my college career, when I could not pass Psychics.  Not just once but twice.  So I was back to my first choice Political Science.

A finally transferred over to Arizona State University where I quickly learned that I could not hide my learning disability any longer.  Got some help with my science classes and I had to learn and trust in myself that I could write an essay for a test and not have to have someone else proof read it before it was turned in.  And there where a lot of late nights studying for test and doing paper.  This would mean at times going to work with only 3 to 4 hours of sleep.

So at times I may tell someone that I have a degree that is worthless, but I know that is not true.  It is a sign of the hard work that I put in to get it.  Yes I have some useless knowledge about Politics, it is important to me. Oh, after the encounter with Conner, I lost track of  my degree.  Did not even think about it.  So Monday morning I had to go back to the house and load up my car, but we also had another load on the side of the house that we somewhat cover up.  As I was loading up the truck with the final load, there was this long box that had the game Risk and a trophy that my softball team, The Unknowns, had won back in 2003.  And at the bottom of the box was also my degree.  It is now in storage, and hope to have a place to display it in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.