Achievements

So I have been looking for a job since this summer.  I have a friend that has been helping me in my job search.  So a job came up the other day, and he suggested that I apply for.  I do not feel that I am qualified for the job, so he offered to punch up my resume and help out on a cover letter.  Then he told me to e-mail the achievements I have had.  And that start me thinking.

For me I have my degree from Arizona State University in Political Science, which I earned in 2008.  There was the full time mission that I served for my church in Ireland from 1988 to 1990.  I do have my Eagle from Boy Scouts that I earned in 1987. And there are the trophies that I won while racing and the two from softball.

Don't get me wrong I am proud of what I have done, but in the business world now, it does not amount to a lot.  But as I sat there thinking about what I have done I was thinking that what use to be achievements really are not achievements anymore.  And this made me wonder where our standards where.

Loyalty

One, was loyalty to work.  I heard on the radio the other day that the average person stays at there job about 3 years.  I also read a friends post about when he started at Motorola it was more like a family business.  Anyone that worked there 25 years could not be fired unless by the CEO.  That the money was freely shared and that bonus were seen a lot.  But over time that changed. 

For me, I spent 16 and 1/2 years at the same business.  They let me set my schedule around my school schedule.  I started there at 5 dollars and hour  in 1992.  It was my second time at a plumbing company.  And only my fifth job I ever had.  When I came close to my finishing my degree, they came to me and  offered me a better job in the company.  But at that time was also the housing crisis, and with in a month the offer was rescinded, and with 3 months I was the only one left working in the warehouse, with reduced hours.  And with in the year I was laid off.

The sad thing is that I did not know that my loyalty would hurt me down the road.  That my new found freedom to use my degree would some what be hurt for the 17 years I spent in one field.  While I was working 60 plus hours in the summer, others in Political Science were interning around the country and even out of the country.  That even when I applied for warehouse jobs, that I was over priced, even though I would work for less.  And when I applied for jobs I wanted, I was not qualified.

Marriage

As mine has just ended, I do not think that the institution of marriage is that respected.  I made it 21 years and for many that is unheard of these days.  When did marriage become like a thing you get out of a vending machine.  Are there 1/2 off sales of the second marriage licence?  And then there are those that would say lets just live together, like Kirk Russell and Goldie Hawn.  Maybe I have no room to talk here, but wasn't a long marriage some what a goal at one time.

Maybe I was born in the wrong age.  Maybe I am old fashion.  But to these two things really count for anything any more?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.