Passing the Sacrament

I made it to church 10 minutes early this morning and took my normal seat about 4 or 5 rolls from the front on the left.  The President of the Elders Quorum, Kevin Elsworth, came up to me and ask if I would  help pass the Sacrament.  Sacrament is like Holy Commune.  On the fifth Sunday, the Elders take over for the Deacons and Priest.  Sacrament  is offered to the all the members. I was a little reluctant at first.  I had a good seat, and I was sitting by myself and did want to lose it.  But Sister Freeman said she would save if for me, so I agreed.

I think it as been a few years since I have helped out in this.  I sit there and watch the young men bless and pass it every Sunday, as I set there trying to find something spiritual to look up on my phone.  But it was fun to be on the other side.  To watch Fathers and Mothers help there children take the Sacrament.  To get to the back of the church, and see if everyone who want to partake had the chance.  Going through this two times for the bread and the water.

This brought back memories of me growing up.  When I was 12, we lived in the old Mesa 13th Ward, or as some would call it, the Nearly dead New Wed Ward.  There were not a lot of kids 12 to 18 years old.  When I became a Deacon there was about 5 of us.  At 13 there was 3 of us.  When I became a Teacher, there was the numbers stayed the same.  When became a Priest at 16, there was 4 of use.  From when I was 17 to 19, I was the only Priest and I think there was 3 Teachers and 2 Deacons.  So I was always involved in some part of the Sacrament, from when I was 12 to 19.  The only break, was when I was sick and did not go to church or I was out of town.

On my mission I served in an area where there was two member of the church who had the Priesthood, one being a 14 year old boy.  So we had to do everything for the Sacrament.

I am so grateful the President Elsworth ask me today.  To be able to help out with this ordinance of the gospel.  It was not a bother, but a true blessing.


Comments

  1. What a wonderful blessing! Kinda makes you feel 12 yrs. old again, doesn't it? I always felt sorry for the youth in our ward....not very many of you, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.