Race Car Drivers Bucket List

I was lucky to be able to race for 7 years.  I got to drive three different type of cars and drive on 4 different tracks in 2 states.  I was able to finish all but three races that I entered.  I wish it could have been more, but my mom got sick, and dad was more focused on her than going out to the track.  I still dream of getting back into a car again, but in reality my racing days maybe and are over.  So that leaves a bucket list of places that I have always wanted to visit one day,  I will list one more than once because it has two races that I would love to see.  So here is my Racing Bucket List.

1.  Indianpolis 500:  Never wanted to race an open wheeled car, even though a go-cart is the small version of that, but I have always wanted to be there on race day.  To walk through the pits to smell the racing fuel, when all you can hear is the roar of the engines.  To see the trophy with every winners face on it.

2.  The Daytona 500:  Back when my sister worked for NASA (not the racing organization, but the space one), we went out for a launch for  one of the rover missions to Mars.  Well since Daytona was up the coast, we got to go to the track and take a tour of the track and museum, something I think everyone should do.  To actually look at the banking of the track is insane.  But It would be cool to be there for speed week.  Watch the Twin 125's for qualifying.
To see one of the most important races of the year.  This is the race that says racing season is here (even though in Arizona and California we have been racing since September.)

3. The 24 Hours of Daytona:  Even though this is truly the first race of the year, I have always seen these race as one of the premier races of the road course world.  Nothing like taking a corner at speed going right or left.  Of all the races that I have and will list here, this is the only race that I would really like to race in.  OK maybe Le Mans as well, but that is in France and I have to get over my dislike of France.  I love all the cars that are in the race.  From the fancy multi million dollar prototypes to the GT (Grand Touring) cars.  The thrill of this race is to see who is left after 24 hours.  Most of the time, only a hand full of cars are really competing at the end for the over all win, and GT cars have won over all from time to time.  But the excitement of competing to win your class is the main objective.

4.  The 24 Hours of Le Mans:  This is truly a legendary race.  Over the many years we have seen some great battles for the best in the world.  Porsche vs. Ferrari, Ferrari vs. Ford,  and Audi vs. Toyota.  This is also truly a hybrid of a race track or course, with it combining a formal racetrack, and moving onto the roads of the country side of the area.  These race has truly been a test bed of new ideas and technology.  A few years ago, I watch one of the leading Audi Prototypes break a rear end.  Normally, this would have cost them the race because of a long repair.  But the mechanics pulled the car into the garage and with in 14 minutes had changed out the rear end and had the car back out on the track.

5.  Monaco Grand Prix:  Most people in the world do not like races that run through the streets of a city or town.  A few places have tried and failed this formula in track building.  But Monaco has out lasted the pretenders.  It is funny that this really is a popular race, that you can not see most of the track.  But I think that it is the atmosphere.  Old European style.

6.  The Isle of Man TT:  OK, I know this is not a car race, and I am a person who would never be caught died on a a motorcycle, but this race has also been one that I have always try to catch some high lights of.  A race a round an Island for a week.  I think this is something to really see.

I know some will say, why did you not add this track or that one.  I know one friend that will ask why I did not add the Nurburgring to the list.  Well all of these have meaning to me, and just me.  To me Nurburgring is just like every other track.  They all have there memories and achievements.  But these are the ones that when they are on T.V., I can not miss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.