Remembering 9/11

On this day I am reminded at where I was this day.  To me and others who remember this day, this is our Peal Harbor moment.

Like any other day, I was already at work.  Been there since about 4:30.  Got all of the Plumbers out of the yard around 5:30 and was preparing for my day at my prefab table.  About 5:45  the news came across that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers in New York.  I thought man that is bad.  About 6 my boss Patty came out and said you should see it on the T.V.  About that time, I called my mom to see if she had heard what was going on, and she said she was watching it on t.v.   So I went into the break room and there was a few people in there watching, one of the towers on fire, with thick black smoke.  We watched and wondered what happened, when the other plane hit the second tower.  We stood there in disbelieve.  It was hard to get back to work.

At that time I was listening to Howard Stern, and this day it went from being tape delayed to being live.  To hear them talk about it, and from them to say it was Arab terrorist just did not make any sense. But as the day went on, we found out the truth, and it was who they said it was on the Howard Stern Show.

My work was close to Country Club and Main here in Mesa.  This is a direct flight path of most of the planes going to or leaving Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix.  You could set you watch by some of the planes that flew over everyday.  But on this day, flight had been stopped.  Flight had been stopped for almost a week.  It was weird to not see or hear the air craft flying over head.

I had class that day at Arizona State University.  It was my Congress Class, and that day we talked about how the whole of government would react to this action.  For me, I was angry, and we knew who was behind this attack.  They were in Afghanistan.  It was my feeling at the time we should just nuke the whole country and move on.  I said this in class and I still stand by the statement.

At work, the Flag was flying at half mast.  I do not remember how long we had it there, but it did seem like forever.  With in hours of the attacks of 9/11 the flags came out.  Flags were flying from the backs of trucks.  Flag stickers were made to go on every truck in our work fleet. Everyone was united as a country.  Congress was united on the steps of Congress singing God Bless America.

I will always remember this day.  The site and sounds of that day stick in my mind.  But I remember it for the bad and the good of the day.  The bad, in the innocent lives lost on 4 planes, the lives lost at the Pentagon, and the lives lost at the Twin Towers.  The good of the day, was how it united us as a people, that we could remember that we were a strong country and could get through anything.   

Comments

  1. I missed your Mom so much yesterday....more than usual, because I spent it with her at ASU. We both cried and then she and I made flag pins out of red, white and blue beads and safety pins and handed them out to all of Public Events. Everyone wore them proudly. Sad day indeed. God Bless America!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.