If I could turn back time.

I have been thinking of this topic for a few days now.  No it has nothing to do with Cher, and no Cher songs will be played while writing this.  Thou that song is going through my mind.  Any way, I have been thinking about what if you could go back in time?  Would you change anything?  I know I have a lot of things I would change.  What would you not change?  I think we look back a lot and we can see the bad times so clearly.  But maybe there was just that one year that was magical.  That one year that not everything went well, but it was a good year overall.

And here is the disclaimer:  I hope that do offend any friends if there name is used here.

My magical year was my Junior year in High School.  I can hear it now.  I would never want to go back and relive my high school years. But for me this was one of the best years of my life.

I was not the first year that I could drive, I was already doing that, the year before.  I was driving around my my senior friends that year, and all were now gone off to missions or college.  I still was picking up my friend Andrew who I had know since 3rd grade.  But I now was taken my friends that were just starting high school, Heather and Paul.  And I was getting gas money back then.  5 dollars for the week.  And back then gas was around 89 cents a gallon for regular leaded gas.

I still had my old friends at school, like Derek, but with the new school year came the new ones.  I think in 1986 t  1987 was the start of the four lunch periods.  I had first lunch and most of  my friends had first lunch except Heather.  I would go down to the cafeteria and by my Pizza Boat with fries and a chocolate shake and go find my friends.  With Paul joining me brought a lot of new friends and some from the church.  At times it seems like the 13th Ward Priest, Teachers, Mia Maids, and Laurels lunch group.  But there was also Lydia, the two Hatch sisters, and I want to say Nancy.  After eating lunch we would all go up and hang out at the flag polls. Being the one with a car, we would sometimes pile into my 1978 GMC Jimmy and go out to eat.  It is a good thing that most of the food places were close by, because at one time, I had 14 people piled in.  I think there were people stacked one on top of each other.

I guess school was my world.  I worked with student council, there was DECA, and Boys and Girls League.  Boys and Girl League was a service group  one of the things they did was work the concessions at the football games.  I did not mind, I was going to the football games anyway, but by the end of the season, it ended up me trying to find people to work with me.  The Homecoming game, I never saw one play and worked the whole thing.  I do not even know who won.

One of the things that I really got my self fully into was the Homecoming stuff.  At homecoming each class would have a float and a skit.  I found myself working on both.  In our skit I play a football player, something that I really wanted to do, but was not aloud to do.  I think that I worked almost everyday, but Sunday on the float.  I was over there on Veterans Day cutting out this big huge rabbit that would be on the float.  So the day of homecoming we do the skit and I am going back  to change and I can hear them calling my name to work the concessions.  I did find out that we did win the homecoming events.  I  also did not go to the dance.  A few weeks later, I get called in to Vice Principal  Warner's office.  I was given a service star for my work during homecoming.  I told me I could put it on my letter, but I did not letter in anything.  I still have it somewhere.

That year I had two acting experiences, well one forced on me.  It was the Year for the Ward Roadshows.  Also back in November, Paul asked with me and Jennie Millsaps would help his brother in putting on A Christmas Carol down at one of the single wards at Arizona State University. So Paul  played the younger Scrorge, and I played his workmate George.  We also played Carolers.  We did our performance at the Ward Christmas Party.  It went so well that we were ask to perform for the missionaries for there Christmas party.

That year was also my first date.  A friend of mine from drafting ask if I would double with him to the Seminary Opening Social.  I said, sure and went to finding a date.  I asked Lisa Davidson out.  Lisa had been eating lunch with use from time to time.  Jeremy asked out Renee Richardson.  I think we picked up the girls around 5:45.  We ate dinner at Pondrosa Steakhouse.  Then off to the dance.  Then after the dance we took the girls home.  No real fireworks.  But it was a first date.

Well, I think that is basically the highlights of the year.  I know I am leaving out somethings, but that is OK.  Some will probably question why this was my favorite year, and it comes down to this.  I don't remember a lot of sad times that year.  Yes, I dated once, and did not go to Homecoming or Prom dance, but that really did not matter to me.  By the end of the summer of 1987, I had a job.  So the next school year was different.  I did not have time to work on the Homecoming activities.  My world was changing.

I know that we can not go back to our past.  I look to my past a lot.  Maybe for me, it is because life is really hard at this time.  I don't focus just  on this year.  I have a lot of memories of other events in my life that I wish life was like this now.  I hope that one day I can say that a date in the future was my best year ever, but for now it was when I was seventeen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one really knows the really me!

Feeling left behind

My Political Life.